Thursday

Inner and Joy Tip #93: Identify Trigger Events

Inner Peace and Joy Daily Meditation Tip: The Book of Psalms will uplift your soul. Read Psalms chapters 16-20 for a Spirit Booster!

A great tip on how to maintain a peaceful and calm state of mind is to identify the events that causes you to become upset in the first place. When you are able to identify the events that triggers you to become upset, then you can work on developing a "Plan of Action" or ways that you can respond in a calm, peaceful manner the next time you are in that particular situation.


What are your triggers? What gets you to escalate to become angry?
  • Is it long waits in a line at a grocery store, department store or the place where you pay your bills?
  • Is it being on a crowded elevator, on a crowded bus or in a crowded building?
  • If a friend were to joke about a sensitive topic, would that trigger you to become upset?
  • What if you were wrongly accused, would you get upset?
  • If you continually had to clean up someone's mess, how would you react?
  • What if you had an untidy roommate, would that upset you?
  • How would you respond if you had a neighbor who plays their music way too loud?
  • Do you get upset when you are on a telephone call and you are placed on hold for long periods of time?
  • How would you respond if you asked someone for directions but you later found that they gave you the wrong directions?
  • If someone was to spread a false rumor about you, would that trigger you to become upset?
  • Would you respond peacefully if you found out that your money or property was stolen from you?

The event that use to trigger me to get upset before I started working on maintaining my Inner Peace was being around mean spirited people who would say things to intentionally hurt my feelings. My normal response was to shut down and think negative thoughts about the person such as "They are so mean, I am not going to talk to them any more" or "I can not wait for them to say something to me again because when they do I am going to give them a piece of my mind"


It was not until I started paying attention to all of the things that caused me to become upset that I was able to actually pin point the events that triggered me to get upset. After that, I was able to practice positive ways that I could respond the next time I was face to face with a mean spirited person who tried to hurt my feelings .

I have came in contact with many mean spirited people since I have been on my journey to maintain my Inner Peace and the way that I respond now is instead of shutting down when someone tries to hurt my feelings, I just say to myself, "They are mean but I will pray for them" or "Thank God, I do not have to live in the house with that person".

What Events Triggers You to Become Upset?

More Useful Tips
Practice to Maintain Your Inner Peace
Know Your Triggers

No comments:

Find textbooks at Alibris!